A hearty dish that can be made in so many different ways, with so many different ingredients – the chicken pot pie! This is one fun dish to experiment with, folks. If you don’t like the veggies that I used, you are more than welcome to use any of your favorites. Add any of your favorite flavorings. Add your own version of biscuits. The sky is the limit!
Chicken Pot Pie with Cheddar Biscuits
Here’s what you’ll need:
4 carrots, peeled and diced
4 celery stalks, diced
1 onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
5 fresh sprigs of thyme
1 cup of mushrooms, sliced
2 cups of shredded chicken
3 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. ground sage
1 tbsp. italian seasoning
1/3 cup flour
Salt and pepper
3 (or more) cups of milk
For cheddar biscuits:
2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
1 tbsp. garlic salt
4 cups flour
4 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1 stick of butter, cubed and cold
2 cups buttermilk
1. In large skillet over medium high heat, melt butter. Add carrots, celery, onion, thyme (take leaves off the sprigs), ground sage, salt and pepper and turn down to medium heat. Stir and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Add mushrooms, cook for 5 more minutes.
2. Sprinkle veggies with flour and stir to coat. Stir in milk and bring to a boil and let it thicken a little. Add chicken. Add more milk if the sauce is too thick. Pour into a large greased baking pan.
3. To make the biscuits, first sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large bowl. Add the cheese and butter. Blend with your fingers until you get a wet sand texture, or you can use a tool to cut the butter into the flour.
4. Add the butter milk and stir just until dough forms.
5. Drop by handfuls onto the pot pie, leaving enough space between each biscuit for it to expand.
6. Bake at 400 degrees for 35 minutes. Enjoy!