Lets face it folks, when it comes to taco soup, you really cannot go wrong. You got your taco spices, choice of meat, and beans and when you put them all together, they taste great. This recipe of mine, however, includes one secret ingredient that makes this soup more than great. In fact, this special add-in makes this soup one of our favorites. What is this special now-not-secret ingredient, you ask?Beer.
I absolutely detest the smell and taste of beer, never liked it and probably never will. But in this soup, it is delicious and tangy and adds a multitude of volume to the broth. You can add any kind of beer if you really want to, although it is Yuengling beer that has been proven the best tasting in this soup. Cheers to experimenting!
Drunken Taco Soup
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 1 can kidney beans, undrained
- 1 can black beans, undrained
- 1 can of corn, drained
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 12 oz. can or bottle of beer (Yuengling preferably!)
- 2 cans diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1 packet of taco seasoning
- 3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips (optional toppings)
Here’s what to do:
- Place the onion, beans, corn, tomato sauce, beer and diced tomatoes in a slow cooker. Add taco seasoning and stir to blend. Lay chicken breasts on top, press down until covered barely.
- Set slow cooker on low heat, cover and cook for 5 hours. Or if you are in a hurry, cook on high for 3 hours.
- Remove chicken breasts from the soup, and shred with a fork. Put shredded chicken back in the soup. Continue cooking for 2 more hours.
- Serve topped with optional toppings and enjoy!