Mexican Tortilla Pizza
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Tortillas (we used whole wheat)
- 2 cans refried beans
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- Olive Oil
- 1-2 tbsp. taco seasoning
- One bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 tomato, diced
- Salsa, your choice
- Mexican cheese blend
- Sour cream
Here’s what to do:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- While the oven is heating, take a medium saucepan and saute the onions slightly, but not to the point of soggy. We still want some crunch! Unless you like soggy onions…
- After the onions have cooked to your desired texture, add the refried beans and cook on medium-low heat. Add just enough water to loosen up the beans. Add the garlic powder, cayenne pepper, paprika, and taco seasoning. Stir until blended and then take off the heat.
- Once the oven is ready, line a baking sheet with foil. Take your tortillas (you will need two for each pizza you made), spray lightly with cooking spray, and place on the sheet. Bake for 5 minutes on each side, or until crisp. DO NOT TURN THE OVEN OFF!
- Once both sides are crisp, take out of the oven. On a plate, begin the layering process. First, baked tortilla, then spread a couple spoonfuls of the refried beans into a thin layer, on top of the beans, add a little bit of salsa and spread over. Add the second tortilla, lightly smooshing it into the bottom layer so it sticks. On top of this tortilla, spoon on a little bit more salsa, add to your desire. Add chopped tomatoes, green onions and then top with cheese. Place back in the oven until cheese has melted.
- Enjoy with a dollop of sour cream!!