White Bean Alfredo

White Bean Alfredo

White Bean Alfredo Sauce

White Bean Alfredo

Are you one of those hardcore lovers of the famous creamy alfredo sauce? If you are, then I’m pretty sure you’re aware of how the sauce gets its creaminess: heavy cream. It gets it’s thickness through butter and flour. By the time you figure out just how fattening this dish is, you’re almost tempted to never eat it again.
(Or maybe you are, because it’s just so darn tasty. I’m right there with ya.)

Today, you may have just found your answer to your alfredo problems. When I made this dish, which is technically a pseudo-alfredo but I’ll get to that in a second, not only was my tummy feeling great but my tastebuds were completely fooled.

Your typical sauce includes all the fattening stuff. But this sauce does not. This alfredo sauce contains:

NO flour     NO heavy cream     NO butter

It does contain one special super-dooper secret ingredient (which is now not so much a secret) and that is…WHITE BEANS!

white beans

That’s right. Instead of the fattening stuff, this recipe is made up of 90% white beans. The other 10% is milk, cheese and the like. Not only do you save calories by making this instead of the original alfredo, but you also gain a great source of protein. White beans are cheap too.

But what about the taste? As I said, my tastebuds were fooled. I was in bliss to have found such a recipe that is not only cheap, but it makes a TON, it gave me protein, and it tasted so creamy and delicious.

I have made this several times and have found out a few techniques to make this sauce as creamy and non-gritty as possible. Please follow the directions (especially when it comes to the parmesan cheese) otherwise, you WILL get gritty sauce and gritty sauce is just not good eats.

Here’s what you’ll need:

1 or 2 heads of roasted garlic, cooled (there are sites online to tell you how to roast garlic)
1 small block of parmesan cheese (do NOT use the canned version, has to be the real stuff!)
1/2 bag of dried white beans, cooked and cooled (the canned beans still come out gritty)
1 can evaporated milk
Regular milk (I used 1%)
A pinch of salt

1. Grate the parmesan cheese in the large shredder, not the tiny size. This way, the larger pieces of shredded cheese melts easier and does not become gritty. Put in a bowl and set aside to get to room temperature (also helps to melt faster).

2. In a food processor, combine 1 cup of the cooked beans and all of the roasted garlic cloves (they are easy to squeeze out), and a splash of evaporated milk. Process till creamy. Add to a large pot. Continue blending until all the beans and milk are blended together and all in the big pot ready to heat.

3. Get a big whisk and set the pot to medium-high heat. Start whisking.

4. The thickness is up to you, I like my sauce a little bit runny so I added some milk I had in the fridge. This loosened the sauce up and it worked well. Add a dash of salt and keep whisking.

5. Once the sauce has heated through, add the cheese. Remove the pot from heat and whisk constantly until all the cheese has melted through. Serve immediately over noodles.